Manual Handling Training 2021
As an employer, you must protect your workers from the risk of injury from hazardous manual handling in the workplace. Manual handling means transporting or supporting a load by hand or bodily force. It includes lifting, putting down, pushing, pulling, carrying or moving loads. A load can be an object, person or animal.
The law sets out how employers must deal with risks from manual handling:
- avoid hazardous manual handling, so far as is reasonably practicable
- assess the risk of injury from any hazardous manual handling operations that cannot be avoided
- reduce the risk of injury from hazardous manual handling to as low as reasonably practicable
The weight of a load is important, though the law does not set specific weight limits.
In some cases, you must provide information about the weight and position of the centre of gravity of each load, if there is a risk of injury and it is reasonably practicable to do this.
Training can be important in raising awareness and reducing risk, but it won’t ensure safe manual handling on its own. You should first design the manual handling operations to be as safe as reasonably practicable. You should also monitor and review procedures to make sure workers understand and apply them.
Training should be relevant to the type of work carried out and should cover:
- manual handling risk factors and how injuries can happen
- how to use mechanical aids
- how to carry out safe manual handling, including good handling techniques
- systems of work relevant to the worker’s tasks and environment
- practical work so the trainer can identify anything the trainee is not doing safely and put it right
The content of any training in good handling technique should be tailored to the tasks the workers carry out.
Why choose GR Safety Solutions for your manual handling training?
- Our professional health & safety consultants are available 24/7 to advise and support you on any health & safety issues.
- We’re highly qualified to carry out your risk assessments for you
- We can act as your competent person
- We create health & safety policies, procedures and management systems bespoke to your business
- We can help you achieve and promote a positive health & safety culture
Learn about manual handling
We like to make it easy
You Contact Us
Simply use one of the easy access contact methods to contact us today phone, email or live chat with our advisors.
We will go through your training requirements and advise you the next steps of what to do.
First Class Service
Once we have agreed a plan of action we will provide you with a first class service throughout our time together.